Old St. Peter’s Church
This is one of the oldest churches in France. In 1876, it was converted into a stone museum. It was redesigned in the 12th century, but has kept its original structure and basilical floor plan. The building symbolises a dialogue between rich and varied periods of history.
After they were excavated, some pieces from the Gallo-Roman period (sculptures, Roman sarcophagi, inscriptions, amphoras, household and funerary decoration) were placed in Saint Peter's Church, which was deconsecrated during the French Revolution. These pieces have practically never been moved since, except for restoration work and cleaning.
The church still has its original basilical structure (the first stone is thought to have been laid in the 5th century). Early Christian sarcophagi show the influence of what was once a highly prestigious basilica. Christian prelates and dignitaries (Saint-Mamert, Saint Leoniano) were buried in St Peter's Church until the 9th century, a sign of their power and influence.
- Town location
- In centre of town
Free of charge.
- Reception staff sensitized to the reception of people with disabilities